Cover photo by Todd Richmond, Nostatic.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Soul Serenades

Sometimes my inner geek shines through, and there's not much I can do about it.
Case in point: sometimes when I really like a song, and I know that different musicians have covered it, I'll essentially collect a zillion versions of it.  

Thanks to A Little Help From My Friends, I've talked a bit about the 1964 King Curtis song, 'Soul Serenade'.  

Here's the original, and a few versions by a couple other performers, including an Aretha Franklin cover with lyrics.  Which one do you like best, instrumental or with lyrics? 
*I'll tell you my favorite at the end of the post.

King Curtis and the Kingpins, live version 

Aretha Franklin, 1968 

Allman Brothers, 2009, with some of the original members of the Kingpins

Derek Trucks Band, 2010
(This is a long one - forward to the 3 minute mark to hear the opening of Soul Serenade.)

Or, the Funky Butt Brass Band's instrumental.

  
*I love all of these, but the Queen of Soul is always going to win out for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment