Cover photo by Todd Richmond, Nostatic.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Little Help from My Friends


According to the Oxford Dictionary, one of the definitions of community is
"2 [mass noun] the condition of sharing or having certain attitudes and interests in common"

I've been mulling over the concept of community lately, and what it means to be part of a one - in the context of being part of a group with interests in common.    And then, thanks to the wonders of Facebook, I got to experience it in action!  

If music is a language, then I'm in the early stages of learning my ABC's when it comes to learning to read sheet music.  One of my current favorite songs is 'Soul Serenade' by King Curtis in 1968.  The free tablature that I've found online for that song isn't very good, however, a Facebook friend recently posted a link to a site that has a free transcription of it.  Since I don't have the ear - yet - to play what I hear, I think of sheet music as being like a treasure map.  It's all there, if I can just decipher what I'm looking at.

Looking at the transcription, I'd been able to suss out the notes, but I was having a hard time figuring out the key signature of the song.  I knew I was on the right track - either Db major, or Bb minor.  I put up a quick question on Facebook, and in a a matter of minutes I received a bunch of helpful info from some  experienced musicians. (The answer is Db major.)  


A big thank you to my friends/fellow campers from Wooten Woods - thanks for helping out a beginner.

For those who are curious, there's a ton of great songs at Freebasspart.

If you're a beginner like me, and you're just starting to learn about key signatures, here's a quick overview of the less common Db Major scale.

There's lots of great information in general at Study Bass, and they have a good section on learning to read music as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment