Cover photo by Todd Richmond, Nostatic.com

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Support Local Musicmakers

 
When I signed up for the 31 Day Blogging Challenge a week ago it seemed like a great idea. Now that we're 8 days into the month and I'm 5 posts behind, I'm beginning to wonder why I did this!

So, here gang, here's your 'pretty' post for the day.


I've been thinking lately about the theme of community: what it means, and what it's like to be part of one.
And  I'm fortunate to live in a city with a large community of people who make music, and beautiful musical instruments.  This is just the start of what Atlanta has to offer; I'd like to do regular features on local music-makers of one stripe or another as we go along.

 
 Delaney Big City II Bass

So here's a quick look at a few of the custom bass guitars made in my area by Mike Delaney of Delaney Guitars.  All the guitars and basses are hand made in the shop.  Each one is unique, and can be  can be customized to each client's specifications. Please, please check out Mike's site for many more beautiful instruments - just wait 'til you see the guitars!





 
And just to demonstrate  that  they sound as good as they look, here's a video from a performance last spring by Charlie Wooton, of the Charlie Wooton Project and, more recently,  of the national group, the Royal Southern Brotherhood
 
 Charlie lived in Atlanta for quite a while before moving back to his home state of Louisiana. I believe the rest of the band shown in the Charlie Wooton Project video above, including Yonrico Scott, and Count M'butu still live in Atlanta. Pretty amazing to call these guys 'local' talent!

No comments:

Post a Comment