Cover photo by Todd Richmond, Nostatic.com

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Na na, na nana na, na nuh na nuh na na....

Do you know the slang term 'ear worm'?
It usually refers to a catchy-but-loathsome song that gets stuck in your head. 

In my case, I've recently had a much more positive case of ear worm.  
I've been in a couple musical settings over the last several months where I've  heard different variations on the same song.  And it was driving me crazy that I  couldn't identify it.

It's one that I was not familiar with: all instrumental, kinda jazz, kinda brawny funk.


The very first time I heard it, at one of Victor Wooten's Bass and Nature camps, all I could think was that it reminded me of one kid on a playground taunting another.  The vibe was kinda an old school version of a Bronx cheer with an a 'na na' thrown in just to be obnoxious.  I think Victor Wooten played the mystery song at least once during  the week of Bass and Nature camp, and some of the campers performed it at our end of the week jam. 

 Months went by, and then...I heard it again.

The second time was at the end of a Marcus Miller concert a couple weeks ago, while waiting in line to have Marcus autograph a CD.  A gentleman in line in front of me was humming and scatting it while we waited.  The song got totally stuck in my head, and the next morning I had an 'a ha' moment.  I scrolled through Marcus' impressive discography on iTunes, and sure enough, it's a tune that he has recorded and performed over the years: 'Jean Pierre'.





Now, I've mentioned before, I'm clearly no jazz afficionado; those of you who are, are probably shaking your heads in pity, or possibly horror,  at this point.  




Yep, with a little more digging, I learned that Miles Davis originally created the song.  
Miles freaking Davis, people.  
And I didn't know that until last week.
The song is on his 1981 album 'We Want Miles', which was a collection of recordings from his post-retirement concerts.




And guess what else I learned?
Marcus Miller played in Miles' band in the 80's.

There's something about that linkage that I find exciting too.  

Miles to Marcus.

Victor Wooten was surely inspired by both Miles (what jazz musician isn't?), and by Marcus.


Then I was fortunate enough to experience it, and be inspired by it at Victor's camp.

Because I heard so much about Marcus Miller from all my bass buddies at camp, I went to his  recent concert when he passed through my town.  (I was blown away;  the man is an incredible, energetic musician.)

I'm not trying to claim that there's anything particularly profound about that, but I do find it fascinating that that spark of inspiration can be passed along by a 30+ year old song.
And dammit, it IS a catchy little ear worm.

 'Jean Pierre' has been added to the growing list of songs that I'd like to learn to play, too.

Please enjoy the Miles Davis version, as well as the Marcus Miller version:







And just for kicks, here I am, in a starstruck moment....

No comments:

Post a Comment